Legumes and Lentils are the plants and used as food by animals and humans. Legumes belongs to family of plants known as Fabaceae also refer to as pod. Lentils are the type of legumes. Commonly eten legumes in different regions of the world are clover, Alfalfa, peas, lupins, peanuts, lentils etc. Legumes also do contain amino acids but lentils contain comparatively more amino acids than legumes.
What is Legumes?
Legumes belongs to family of plants known as Fabaceae also refer to as pod. Legumes are the stable food of vegetarians as they contain heavy amount of proteins and fibers. Legumes contains proteins. Most of the times legumes are eaten with grains for attaining the amino acids needed by the human body.
What is Lentils?
Lentils are the type or subcategory of the legumes. Lentils is being used as food since Neolithic times. It is available in all colors including yellow, green, black, red, brown etc. They are sold and eaten with or without the outer covering / skin. Unlike beans they have no need to be soaked in water for long time before cooking. Along with proteins, lentils also contains amino acids that is the requirement of our body. Lentils also contain anti nutrients like tannin and phytic acid so should not be eaten as raw food.
Key Differences between Legumes and Lentils
- Legumes are the family of plants being eaten in different parts of the world while lentils are the type or subcategory of the legumes also eaten in some parts of the world.
- If legumes are the laptops then lentils are the particular brand of laptops.
- If legumes are the air conditioners then lentils are the particular brand of air conditioners.
- Legumes require very little fertilizer for their growth as they are able to fix the nitrogen while comparing to other legumes.
- Legumes also do contain amino acids but lentils contain comparatively more amino acids than legumes.
- Legumes are found more than lentils.
- Legumes are the main family of plant called Fabaceae while lentils belong to this family of plants.