Like a soul in our body keeps us alive so that the processor does in the computer. Both processor and microprocessor performs various functions for a computer through integrated components. They are the heart of the system. It is the processor which accept the input, information or data and command to process and store it and give the result in the shape of some output according to user instructions. Due to similar use both terms like synonyms of each other but there is a wide gap between them. Now we will discuss one by one both terms.
Difference between Processor and Microprocessor
What is Processor?
Processor which is also known as Central Processing Unit (CPU) is a chip, assigned with the instructions of performing logical I/O operations and arithmetical functions of the computer. Do not confuse the term CPU/processor with the whole system.
In fact, processor or CPU is a small chip, which contains millions of tiny transistors to run the system effectively. It is the duty of processor to keep an eye over the computer. Its main function is to perform complex and difficult task. It reads and writes the data on CD/DVD, USB or another removable disk. It performs its functions through ALU and CU stands for Arithmetic Logic Unit and Control Unit respectively.
What is Microprocessor?
Microprocessor is the latest form of processor or CPU. The microprocessor is a single-chip circuit integrated with all qualities of CPU with few new circuits. Its processing speed is greater than CPU. Today all latest processor CPUs are a microprocessor.
Microprocessor is developed for multipurpose. It is capable in accepting and storing data and process them in output as a result according to instructions. This invention has changed the whole CPU/processor. Processing power cost has been introduced with an increase in processing speed. Before microprocessors, medium and small scale circuits were used for small computers. But now small computers requires one or a few large scale circuits.
Key Differences between Processor and Microprocessor
- Processor or CPU is capable of performing all kinds of computing and arithmetic functions while microprocessor deals in BIOS & memory circuits in addition to performing all CPU functions.
- Microprocessor functions are greater than the processor. In addition to processor qualities, some graphic processor units (GPU), sound cards and internet cards are also included in it.
- Microprocessor is the latest and upgraded version of processor/CPU.
- Although microprocessor is the latest and advanced technology but still the main processing function of the computer is controlled by the processor.
- The new function of audio processing which helps in producing clear audio is stored in a sound card of the microprocessor which was previously not available in the processor.
- Due to the addition of different processors on a microprocessor, its speed is slower than the processor.
- CPUs/processors can be microprocessor but all microprocessors are not CPU.
- CPU is the main part of the computer while the microprocessor is a simple chip on the motherboard.