Getting connected with a system has many ways, different companies provide unique tools that help in connecting each device with the other. Some of these methods have become old, and new ones have come in existence.
The two such methods getting discussed in this article are point-to-point and multipoint connections. They both have their variations, and the main difference between them becomes apparent with the help of definition. A method where two communication devices get connected with each other forming a link between them is the first, and a method where more than two communication devices get linked to each other forming a relationship between them becomes latter.
|Basis||Point-to-Point Connection||Multipoint Connection|
|Meaning||A method where two communication devices get connected with each other forming a link between them.||A method where more than two communication devices get linked to each other forming a relationship between them.|
|Linkage||A proper link between two devices exists.||Stay connected at all times as they share the connection.|
|Capacity||The capacity of the system remains same.||Become shared on a temporary basis.|
|Objects||One transmitter and one receiver.||One transmitter and multiple receivers.|
|Systems||phone lines, rink line, mobile phone networks, digital cable, radio signals, and fiber optics.||Online working, offices, organizations, shared networks.|
|Example||Frame Relay, T-carrier, X.25||Frame Relay, token ring, Ethernet, ATM.|
What is Point to Point Connection?
When we talk about the point-to-point configuration of the line, then we speak of a method where two communication devices get connected with each other forming a link between them. It helps in establishing direction connection between two places and the connection between two routers exist without any other devices or hosting facilities.
The main features of such type of relationship include the provision of authentication between the system, the encryption used for data transmission and the compression for the data sent in bulks. Several types of networks require such type of configuration, and they include phone lines, rink line, mobile phone networks, digital cable, radio signals, and fiber optics. In the past, such systems become common due to the dial up connections that helped in accessing the Internet, but their use now has become obsolete. Two main types of P2P exists, the first one called the point-to-point protocol over the Ethernet, and the second one called the point-to-point protocol over the ATM. Both come in handy when we talk about ISP that wants the customer to have a DSL connection.
In the modern world, they become helpful in establishing data link layer protocol for synchronous and asynchronous circuits. Four main types of option exist for the user when it comes to configuration. The authentication that helps in exchange of message and password entering. The compression, which improves the output speed. The error detection, to find faults and the multilink that provides the balancing of the load.
What is Multipoint Connection?
When we talk about Multipoint configuration of the line, then we speak of a method where more than two communication devices get connected with each other forming a link between them.
During such a connection always several devices get related to each other, and when the action happens, they all share the temporary network facilities for the duration of the connection. It also becomes known as the multidrop connection where the single link gets shared with all the systems. It does not mean that the capacity will change, as in, increase or decrease at any time, but the devices connected may change in number.
The more the devices, the slower the system works, but still provides the equal share. The option of sharing the connection with other devices at an individual level also exists, but then we call such a configuration as shared line configuration. Let us take an example of a place where five people use different computers; this means that the CPU will be one, while all the other monitors connected to each other may vary in number.
The systems have their computer screens, keyboards, and mouse but the mainframe stays only one. Such way of passing information gets known as broadcasting where the information moved by the sender reaches all of them at the same time, and they have access, but only use it according to individual requirements. If the user wants data, they keep it. Otherwise, it becomes discarded by them and utilized by others.
- A method where two communication devices get connected with each other forming a link between them is the point-to-point. Whereas, a method where more than two communication devices get connected to each other forming a connection between them becomes multipoint.
- A proper link between two devices exists among the ones connected in a point-to-point system whereas more than two devices stay connected at all times as they share the connection.
- All the capacity of the system remains same for the device from where the data goes and the device where the data gets received from a point-to-point system, on the other hand, the capacity of the scheme becomes shared on a temporary basis when we talk about a multipoint system.
- One transmitter and one receiver complete the package for a point-to-point system whereas one transmitter and multiple receivers fill out the package for a multipoint system.
- Some of the systems that require a point to point communication include phone lines, rink line, mobile phone networks, digital cable, radio signals, and fiber optics. On the other hand, the systems that require multipoint communication include Online working, offices, organizations, shared networks among others.
- Some of the leading examples of a point-to-point system include Frame Relay, T-carrier, X.25, and others. On the other hand, some of the primary examples of a multipoint system include Frame Relay, token ring, Ethernet, ATM, and others.