Two words, light and lite may pronounce the same and even have meanings that are closely related to each other, but in reality, they are entirely different from each other. The main difference between them is their usage. A word light can be used to describe something that is not heavy or has less weight. On the other hand, a lite is a word that is mainly used to describe something that contains low calories and less fat than usual.
Difference between Lite and Light
|Definition||The term lite is an informal variant of light and is mainly used in labeling and advertising commercial products containing less fat or fewer calories||A word light has various uses in the English language and has different grammatical meanings. For example, when light is used as a noun, it mainly refers to a source of light, as a verb it means something that makes things visible, and lastly, as an adjective, it has a long list of meanings|
|Meanings||Lite is mainly used for beverages and food that contains low calories than usual||Light has numerous meanings|
|Usage||It can only be used as an adjective||Light can be as a noun, verb, adjective, and even as an adverb|
|Context||Lite is not used in many ways and mostly used in relation to food products||Light is used in a general context|
|Formality||A word lite can never be used in formal writing except when it is referring to a brand name (for example, Hershey’s Lite)||In formal writing, one should always stick with a word light|
|Example||Our new lite coke has the same bold and crisp flavour with half the calories||Can you turn on the light, please?|
What is Lite?
A word “lite” is a commercial term that is used for advertising and promotion of products that have reduced amounts of fat, sugar, and alcohol than usual.
Light and lite both can be used to describe a product that is less sweet, less heavy, or less complex. Lite is an informal alternative of the word light that is used to describe the versions of products with fewer calories or fat than the original one.
Lite can only be used as an adjective in commercial writing or advertising. This word can be used as an adjective by food companies to label their products.
- Miller Lite
It is used as a brand name to denote a low alcohol version of the beer.
Lite is also used informally to describe a simpler or less challenging version of a particular thing or person. Look at, for example, phrases like lite version, lite news, and film noir lite.
Although, this word can be used in informal contexts to refer food containing fewer calories or light version of a certain thing, keep in mind that it is not appropriate to use this variant spelling in a formal context. Moreover, lite is not an accepted variation of light in any other sense.
What is Light?
A word light is used as a noun, adjective, verb, and adverb and has numerous meanings depending on their context in which they use.
As a Noun
Light, when used as a noun, is used as a source of light or something that makes vision possible.
- We have to stop at the red light.
- I love the light of the moon in the night.
- There is no light.
- Please bring it into the light so I can see it.
As an Adjective
- He is looking for a girl with dark hair and light color skin.
- They prefer light purple for the background.
- We would like to have light cheese for the burger.
- Today, the traffic was light.
- She prefers light bag while travelling.
- The cake is as light as air.
- She is a light eater.
- The speed of light is faster than sound.
As a Verb
- The man took a sip of beer and lighted a cigarette.
- She has forgotten to light the lamp.
- Only one bulb lit among three.
- I lit the candles.
- The definition of word light can be numerous, but the main one according to this article will be that something that does not have much weight and easily carries. Lite, on the other hand, is used for a low-calorie food item that is specific for drinks.
- Light as a word can be used as a noun, a verb, and an adjective. On the other hand, a term lite can only be used as an adjective.
- A word light can have numerous meanings, but the most different one is the source that makes things visible while a word lite does not have any other meaning and is solely used as an adjective.
- Lite commonly gets confused as a misspelling of the word light, but in reality, but separately has its usage as a word for many centuries.
- “The man followed her out of the room, guiding her through the door with a light touch on her waist.” will be a sentence used for the word light. “Approaching a concession stand at Nationals Park this season and asking for a Miller Lite is like walking into the Nationals team store and asking to be directed to the section of Mets gear” will be the sentence usage of the word lite.
The words lite and light may have different spellings but sound the same. A word lite is solely used as an adjective to describe something fewer in calories (beverages), lesser in fats (cheese), and simpler in function (software). However, a word light has numerous meanings and is used as a noun (light source), as a verb (put light on something), and as an adjective (light-weight).