Keeping yourself updated with the computer and its architecture has become a collective act of people. The use of such devices has become so standard that now everyone has some idea about the parts. But still, some of them may arise confusions and the two getting discussed in this article seem as such. The main action that ALU performs include sorting out all the logical number juggling operations, for example, expansion, subtraction, augmentation, division, and numerous others. Whereas, CU tells key ranges of the framework, the most proficient method to work. It guides all the related operations to the individual parts of the processor.
Contents: Difference between ALU and CU
|Basis of Distinction||ALU||CU|
|Name||Arithmetic Logic Unit||Control Unit|
|Job||Perform basic mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, subtraction, comparison, and logic.||To take care of all the operations and send them to the correct destination.|
|Relation||Performs all tasks to complete the CU instructions.||Directs the system and executes instructions.|
|Access||Data gets erased once operation completes.||Data becomes accessible at any time.|
|Importance||Most critical component of CPU.||An important part of CPU.|
What is ALU?
ALU that becomes known as the Arithmetic Logic Unit is an essential segment of the computer’s central processing. The main action that it performs include sorting out all the logical number juggling operations, for example, expansion, subtraction, augmentation, division, and numerous others. It gets viewed as the most critical and active portion of the CPU, and vast areas of the overall system will seize to work without it. In the overwhelming majority of the advanced PCs, it gets isolated into two more parts; the first is the AU; the arrangements with the number juggling operations, for example, the ones specified above. And the second one is the LU; known as a coherent unit that creates arrangements with the legitimate activities which characterize the subject. A different storage space becomes available inside the framework and has a few different jobs, for example, giving negative qualities, performing operations on the numbers that don’t compliment with the rationale and numerous others. In the PCs utilized at homes, the vast majority of the actions it performs become possible due to the legitimate chip called the numeric coprocessor. The information that tags along its way is immediate, as are the guidelines executed. Info is typically the direction word that contains an operation mode, more than one operands and once in a while an organization code is likewise present along. The yield, for this situation, comprises of an outcome that is put in a capacity enlist and has particular settings that show that the activity did effectively.
What is CU?
The CU, which commonly becomes known as the control unit is the fundamental piece of the computer’s processing unit that tells key ranges of the framework, the most proficient method to work. It guides all the related operations to the individual parts of the processor. Fundamental ones incorporate the PC memory, the number juggling rationale unit, the information and yield gadgets and others. The CU reveals to them how to react to the program directions and after that demonstration likewise. It handles all the processor control flag which implies it can turn into the essential part not simply of the CPU but rather all the PC. Without it, things don’t work efficiently and make deferrals and mistakes in the framework. All the information and yield stream gets coordinated from here, and the codes for directions get brought from the microprograms, these parts then go to other units and models with the assistance of control and time signals. In honest words, this part is viewed as the mind of the processor as it can arrange every one of the messages and demands about actually anything for the execution of the right direction. The information comes inside them through the status registers and every one of the guidelines, for example, operation and microprogram are available in the programmable rationale exhibit, arbitrary reasoning, and the read just memory. Some of the basic actions it performs include taking guidelines, controlling sequential execution, managing information stream in the correct course, directing and observing the time needed amid the preparing and taking care of different functions.
- Full name of ALU states as Arithmetic Logic Unit whereas the full name of CU states as Control Unit.
- The primary job of Arithmetic Logic Unit become to performs basic mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, subtraction, comparison, and logics. On the other hand, the primary task of control unit becomes to take care of all the operations and send them to the correct destination.
- An Arithmetic Logic Unit is the most important part of the central processing unit whereas a control unit becomes another part of the central processing unit.
- A control unit directs the system and executes instructions entered by the user. On the other hand, an arithmetic unit becomes responsible for performing all tasks to complete those instructions.
- Information that experiences the control unit has the limit of getting put away and got to, at a later time. Every data of the actions taken inside the ALU carries on continuously, and the outcomes get to be distinctly apparent.
- Some of the primary conditions of ALU include Equal-to conditions, Less-than condition and greater than the state. Whereas, some of the primary conditions of work for CU include the loading of data and instructions that exist in the secondary memory to the main memory.
- A CU acts as a communicator between the memory and the arithmetic logical unit. Whereas the ALU helps in understanding the data entered and the results in a better way.
- In hindsight, a control unit does not have any dependency on the arithmetic logic unit, but the ALU does depend big time on the CU.