As we know that gold is glittering, gold is glowing, gold is glamour, gold is precious, and gold is passion and gold is growing day by day. Gold is the most powerful and perfect metal and this shiny, soft and yellow metal is a symbol of jewelry.
The main difference between 18k gold and 24k gold is not the cost of the gold but also the difference is in appearance, application, properties, and popularity. A karat is also spelt as ‘carat’, a unit that is used to measure the fineness or purity of gold.
However, 24K gold is known for its purity, as it is 100% pure, which is not mixed with other materials, the karat amount is 100%, so it is costly and prestigious.
On the other hand, 18k gold is made of 75% gold and 25% of other metals, and this karat amount is less expensive than 24k gold, and it is a prevalent type of gold in making jewellery.
|Basis||18k gold||24k gold|
|Purity||18k gold consists of 75% gold and 25% of other metals such as copper, silver, etc||24k gold is 100% pure|
|Cost||Cheaper than 24k gold||24k gold is more expensive|
|Color||18k gold has a slightly dull color||Distinct bright yellow color|
|Also known as||Also known as 750 gold||24k gold is also known as pure gold|
|Uses||Studded jewelry and diamond jewelry||Can be used in jewelry, electronics and medical devices|
What is 24k gold?
24k gold is the most refined type of gold, or it is also known as non-alloyed gold, and this type of gold contains only gold, and it does not contain any other metal such as silver, zinc, nickel, palladium, or copper.
However, 24k gold is extremely pure, as it is very soft and tends to scratch and bend easily, making it unfeasible for daily wear mostly. If you are going to make an engagement ring then 24k gold is the best option for making jewelry.
24 k gold is much expensive so that it can be a good option for investment for someone in the form of 24k gold bars and coins. It is also a good choice in making engagement rings, wedding bands, earrings, wristwatches, or any other type of jewelry. Moreover, this karat amount can also be used in decorating, electronics, and medical devices.
Facts of 24k gold
- 24k gold might be expensive, but it is also edible, in Asian countries some people put gold particles in fruit jelly, snacks, pan masala etc.
- Many people make coins of 24k gold for saving purposes, as the value of gold keeps increasing day by day.
- 24k gold has the same orange-yellow appearance, and this type of karat gold is lesser in density as compared to 18k gold.
- 24k gold can be used as a water-based serum, which helps to restore dull skin.
What is 18k gold?
18k gold consists of 75% of gold and 25% of other metals and other alloys, such as copper or silver, etc. and this type of gold offer a rich and warm appearance.
Are you going to purchase an engagement or wedding ring or other jewellery? We suggest 18k gold, as it is the perfect option for you with 75% gold content, the stunning diamond ring in 18k white gold offers you a high level of purity and the warmth of gold without the durability issues of 24k gold.
18k gold is more affordable and less expensive as compared to 24k gold, and mostly it is used in jewellery making. It is softer yellow in color as compared to other high karats, but the deep golden tone is more attractive and desirable.
Facts of 18k gold
- Unlike 24k gold, 18k gold is less bright in color, so if you want to wear subtler yellow color jewelry, 18k is the best option.
- 18k is cheaper than 24k, 18k gold can be designed into intricate jewellery, in some instances, the makers can add to the overall cost.
- 18k gold contains 75% of other metal so that it can be acquired by the color of the metal mixed in it.
- Almost all the diamond and gemstones jewelry is the mode of 18k gold because it is tough enough to hold the diamonds so that the jewellery can be designed efficiently.
- 18k gold can be used daily, and it is easy to maintain, you can clean your jewellery by taking a cotton swab, and then dip it in lukewarm water which is mixed with detergent, then wipe your jewelry
Key Differences between 18k Gold and 24k Gold
- 24k gold is 100% pure gold or non-alloyed gold, on the other hand, 18k gold contains 75% gold and 25% of other metals.
- 24k gold is the most refined and expensive form of gold; on the other hand, 18k gold is cheaper than 24k gold.
- The higher the karat, the yellower the color, 24k gold has a distinct bright yellow color. However, 18k gold is slightly dull yellow.
- 24k gold is lesser in density, which makes it soft and pliable, so it is not suitable for jewelry, on the other hand, 18k gold mostly used in making diamonds and heavy studded jewelry.
- 24k gold is also known as pure gold, whereas, 18k gold is also known as 750gold.
- The color of 24k gold cannot be changed without changing the purity of gold to less than 24k; on the other hand, 18k gold can change its color by mixing with other metals such as copper, zinc, and silver in making jewelry.
Gold in any form is valuable and glamorous; either it is 24k or 18k gold. Karats have different uses, prices, and popularities, 24k gold is a symbol of pride and purity, and it is more prevalent among investors, as it has more investment potential. On the other hand, 18k gold is commonly used in jewelry making, and it is also affordable and durable.