No matter which part of the world you travel, one thing is for certain, people find Chinese food all over, and that comes in various distinctions. Two of the most famous dishes that may not be that common everywhere are Szechuan and Hunan Chicken, both of them made from specific ingredients and a particular way of cooking. The main difference between these two dishes is that the first one belongs to the Szechuan province and is spicier, on the other hand, Hunan comes from the province of the same name and is less spicy and served with gravy of the same name.
|Basis of Distinction||Szechuan Chicken||Hunan Chicken|
|Origin||Comes from the southwestern province of China that is famous for its food items.||Originates from the province of the same name that is known for the production of rice.|
|Main Ingredient||The main ingredient of chili that is mixed with pepper.||Hot chili added as the main ingredient.|
|Formation||Sweet, Sour, Tangy, Salty.||Salty, Hot, Spicy.|
|Distinction||Considered as one of the eight main cuisines in China||Considered as one of the broader cuisines in the country|
|Recipe||Chicken pieces get fried along with the garlic that gets cut into several small slates.||Chicken pieces first get cut into short pieces that are of the size of a human bite; then it gets laid out in a pan.|
What is Szechuan Chicken?
Szechuan that is commonly known as Sichuan becomes known as a particular type of cuisine on the Chinese menu that has its way of making food items. It, therefore, gets specific for the case of chicken and other materials. The recipe of this type of chicken is pretty simple, where the chicken pieces get fried along with the garlic that gets cut into several small slates. Both of them are stirred completely until the material gives a brown outlook. Once this process completes other items such as soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water added, and the rousing process continues for a longer time. After that, you have to cover the chicken and material and let them steam until all of it becomes white from inside, one thing is sure that no part of chicken should give the pinkish outlook. This process takes around 5 minutes. Then, green onions and peppers get added to the mixture where it is cooked even more for about two minutes. At this moment, no covering is required for the process to complete. It gets served with rice, gravy, naan and other stuff. This particular style of food comes from the southwestern province of China and has bold flavors that are full of stingy touch and the spicy flavor results from the items added at regular intervals such as chili pepper, green pepper, and others. The city from where it originated got declared as the gastronomy city in 2011 by UNESCO because of the sophisticated cooking methods.
What is Hunan Chicken?
Hunan Chicken is a famous Chinese dish that is particularly popular in places such as the United Kingdom. It is not a traditional Chinese menu but got added as the influence of such food grew in the United States. It is well cooked with small pieces of chicken that are boneless, and then vegetables and other items such as sauce get added. The process of making it takes a while. The chicken it first cut into short pieces that are of the size of a human bite, then it gets laid out in a pan where oil and other ingredients such as ginger, sherry, and sauce get added. These items get cooked for about ten to fifteen minutes depending on the time taken by the chicken to become prepared; this means no part of it shows the pink signs. After that, scallion and hot chili are added into the mixture and gets cooked for a couple more minutes. Once the chicken broth is ready, other gravy making items like wine added into it. Sugar and salt, along with powdered anise pepper and cornstarch become part of the mixture until they get dissolved. Now, it is cooked at low heat for a long time until it becomes tender. The dish is now ready to serve and is done so with several items. The main one is own sauce called the Hunan sauce that gives particular taste and distinction to the dish. Hunan is the province in China that produces more rice than any other part of the country.
Key Differences between Szechuan and Hunan Chicken
- Szechuan as a dish comes from the southwestern province of China that is famous for its food items whereas Hunan originates from the province of the same name that is known for the production of rice.
- Szechuan has the main ingredient of chili that is mixed with pepper whereas Hunan has hot chili added as the main ingredient.
- Szechuan is available in the sweet and tingling form whereas Hunan Chicken is available as a hot and spicy form.
- Hunan cuisine gets considered as one of the eight main cuisines in China whereas Szechuan cuisine gets considered as one of the broader cuisines in the country.
- Chicken gets served with rice and other forms of dry items in the Szechuan Cuisine whereas Chicken is served with Hunan Gravy that is prepared especially with the dish.
- Szechuan chicken pieces get fried along with the garlic that gets cut into several small slates. Hunan chicken pieces first get cut into short pieces that are of the size of a human bite; then it gets laid out in a pan.
- Most of the ingredients are added at the initial stage during the making if Hunan Chicken whereas most elements get added at regular intervals while Szechuan chicken prepares.