The main difference between these two types of academic discussions namely seminar and lecture is that seminar is more interactive and informal as compared to the lecture.
|Definition||Seminar is an informal and interactive mode of discussion||Lecture is an oral presentation of ideas or knowledge of lecturer on a particular idea|
|No. of Students||Comparatively less||Comparatively more|
|Duration||Normally twenty minutes to one hour||From half-hour to more than one hour|
|Approach||Professional and practical approach||Theoretical approach|
|Communication Level||Two-way||One way|
|Paperwork and Notes Taking||More||Less|
What is Seminar?
The seminar is a type of educational instruction that is offered by any professional or commercial organization or set by any academic institute by itself. It is organized with the aim of bringing together the professionals or students for recurring meetings and focusing on a specific subject matter or discussing different aspects of a subject matter. What makes seminar different from the lecture, tutorial, demo session or any other learning method is that in the seminar, everyone participating takes part in the ongoing discussion.
The overall process accomplished via an ongoing Socratic dialogue system through the seminar instructor or leader or a formal presentation of research. Overall it is a place where assigned questions or readings or discussed and questions are raised to hold debates and discussion. It is not the part of the degree accomplishment process, however, still related to the student’s major study program. These can be related to both academic program and professional courses as well. In an academic discussion, it revolves around the exams, term papers, and several other assignments. The overall aim of the seminar is to get the student to familiarize with the practical and professional knowledge and make them able to interact with the practical problems. The participants and duration of the seminar are smaller than the lecture.
What is Lecture?
The lecture is an oral presentation of ideas or knowledge of the lecturer on a specific idea to the participants of the lecture normally the students. It is also one of the forms of academic education where students take the lectures from the lecturer. It is the compulsory part of getting any degree accomplished. The overall aim of lecture is to pass on the information or teach the participant about a particular subject matter, for example, college or university teaches who teach his class on a particular subject. The lecturer usually presents the history, background and other critical information of any subject or topic under discussion.
Most of the researchers caked the speech of minister, politician, and businessman also lecture. The lecture stands in front of the class normally in front of white or blackboard and deliver the information relevant to the lecturer’s content. In modern-day mode of study, these are criticized for focusing on theoretical approach only. For the same reasons, most of the universities today are focusing more on practical alternative teaching methods for the large majority of the courses they are offering. It is also criticized because of being the one-way method of communication that doesn’t involve significant audience participation and focus on passive learning.
- The participants of the lecture are larger than the participants of the seminar.
- The lecture is of large length as compared to the seminar that is of short duration.
- The seminar is more interactive as compared to the lecture.
- Lecture involves two-way communications but seminar often involves one-way direction where speaker address and the audience listen.
- The lecture is the primary element of any study program, but seminar is optional.
- The lecture is mostly delivered to the students of college or university, but seminar can be delivering to any audience.
- Students are the participants of lecture while the participants of seminar can be both professional and non-professionals.
- In lecturer, participants keep pen and papers with them to take notes, but this is not mandatory in the seminar.
- Lecture involves formal discussion while seminar involves mostly informal discussion but in a formal way.
- The lecture aims to an emphasis on presentation and analysis of information only while seminars aims to an emphasis on discussion and interaction.
- Lecture offers a better way to cover and understand the information while seminar aims to allow participants to develop their skills and knowledge.
- In the lecture, professor or teacher led the class, but in the case of the seminar, he guides the participants.
- Lecture involves both readings and listening while seminar focuses more on listening and in the reading area it aims to discuss it.
- The lecture is often organized in universities, colleges or other professional premises while seminars are organized in commercial premises like conference halls, hotels, etc.
- The lecture is organized by the university or any other education body, but private training purveyors run seminar.
- In the lecture, tutor presents the subject materials on a given topic while seminar involves both lecture and tutorial in a more open way.
- In the regular academic program, the lecture is a compulsory part to get a degree, but seminar is optional.
- The lecture has theoretical approach while seminar has a professional and practical approach.
- Lecture focus on a single idea or subject matter, but in seminar, more ideas and thoughts come under discussion.
- In the lecture, ideas and point of views of lecturers are presented in the form of demonstration and lecture format. However, in seminar, these are presented in the format of interactive tools, visual materials, and presentations.
- The lecture can be for both lower and upper class, but seminar is always arranged for highest classes and professionals.