Sela Rice: The Premium Rice for every cuisine
Sela rice is a popular variety of basmati rice which is known for its fragrant aroma and long grain. Also called ‘Golden Sella Rice’, Sela rice is a premium quality rice that has been parboiled and then dried, which gives it a unique golden color. It is a versatile rice that is perfect for every cuisine, be it Indian, Chinese or Mediterranean.
Here’s everything you need to know about Sela rice and why you should consider it for your next meal.
Why choose Sela rice?
Sela rice is particularly popular because of its unique texture and flavor. When cooked, the grains remain separate and fluffy, making it ideal for biryanis, pulaos, and other rice dishes. It is also a healthier choice than regular rice, as it undergoes a partial cooking process known as parboiling. This process ensures that the nutrients from the bran are retained, making Sela rice much healthier than other types of rice.
How is Sela Rice processed?
The process of parboiling involves immersing the rice grains in water and then draining it. The rice is then steamed and dried, which helps to preserve its natural nutrients. This process also makes the rice slightly harder, which helps to prevent it from breaking when it is cooked. The grains become slightly yellow in color, giving them the characteristic golden hue.
Benefits of Sela Rice
Sela rice is a rich source of carbohydrates which makes it an excellent source of energy. It also contains essential nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Sela rice is also an excellent source of protein, making it an ideal choice for vegetarians. The parboiling process ensures that the rice retains its natural nutrients and antioxidants, which makes it a healthy choice compared to other types of rice.
The low glycemic index of Sela rice ensures that the blood sugar levels remain stable, making it an ideal choice for people suffering from diabetes. Additionally, the fiber present in the rice aids in digestion and prevents constipation.
Cooking tips for Sela Rice
Sela rice is easy to cook and can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some cooking tips that will help you to get the best results –
– Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes to an hour to get rid of excess starch.
– Rinse the soaked rice with fresh water and drain it.
– Add 2 cups of water for every cup of rice and bring it to a boil.
– Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid.
– Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked fully.
– Let the rice sit for a few minutes and then fluff it with a fork.
Sela Rice Recipes
Here are some delicious recipes that you can prepare using Sela rice –
1. Vegetable Biryani – This flavorful dish is a favorite of many people, and Sela rice is one of the best options for preparing it. The long and fluffy grains of Sela rice add a unique texture and aroma to the biryani. It can be served with raita or any other side dish.
2. Rice Pilaf – This is a simple yet delicious dish that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Sela rice is the ideal choice for this dish as it stays fluffy and separate when cooked. The addition of vegetables and spices makes it a wholesome meal.
3. Fried Rice – This is a Chinese dish which can be easily made at home using Sela rice. The rice is cooked with vegetables and eggs to give a delicious and nutritious meal. The unique texture of Sela rice adds an extra dimension to this dish.
Sela rice is a premium variety of rice that is popular for its unique texture and aroma. It undergoes a parboiling process which helps to retain its natural nutrients and makes it a healthier choice compared to other types of rice. It is easy to cook and can be used in a variety of dishes. Adding Sela rice to your diet will not only add flavor and variety but also provide the essential nutrients that your body needs. So, go ahead and try this versatile rice in your next meal.