The terms science and technology, are often used as synonyms, as they are closely intertwined, their difference is a lot of time ignored. Science is about acquiring knowledge of the natural phenomenon in addition to the reasons for such occurrence, like Why the sky is blue? Why are leaves green? Why rainfall occurs? What are the colors of the rainbow? How do plants make their food? And so forth. If this knowledge is put to practice, to address human needs or issues, it’s termed as technology.
So, in a nutshell, science deals with theories, principles and laws whereas engineering is all about products, designs and processes. In this article excerpt, we’re going to discuss each of the important differences between science and technology.
|Definition||The system of getting knowledge about universal processes and their reasons is known as science.||The system of using knowledge or science for our own purposes or for solving our problems is known as technology.|
|Focus||Science focus on natural phenomenon.||Technology focuses on understanding the needs of the environment.|
|Importance||It is a system of exploring new information.||It is used to get useful products by using laws of science.|
|Change||Science does not change.||Technology keeps on changing continuously.|
|Effect||Science is always useful for us.||Technology may be both useful or harmful.|
|Evaluation||It is evaluated by observation, hypothesis and theory etc.||It is evaluated by the synthesis of the design of the required tool.|
|Based on||Science is based on discoveries||Technology is based on inventions.|
|Use||Science is used to make predictions about our observations.||Technology is used to make our work more comfortable or to solve our problems etc.|
What is Science?
The word science is explained as a method of obtaining knowledge, through experimentation and observation, in order to elucidate organic phenomena. It’s a methodical and rational approach to exploring, Which are the items present in the world? How do they operate? etc.. It’s a discipline that has a lot of branches such as physics, chemistry, biology, geology, botany, psychology and so forth.
In simple words, science is the set of knowledge gained by way of analysis of all things existing around us. The knowledge is based on evidence and facts, relating to the discipline, rather than opinions and individual choices. And so, the statements and laws created by science may not be challenged, since they are well observed and tested.
Science may be utilized in the development of the latest technologies, cure diseases and solve a number of other issues. Research is continuously made, to expand the scientific understanding, which leaves an area of a query for further investigation.
Modern science is divided into three main branches, i.e.
It is the branch of modern science that deals with the study of nature in a broad sense, e.g. Biology, Physics and Chemistry etc.
It is the branch of modern science that deals with the study of human behavior and societies, e.g. Psychology, Sociology and Physiology etc.
It is that branch of modern science that deals with the study of abstract concepts, e.g. Mathematics and Computer sciences etc.
What is Technology?
Technology is a combination of technique, skills, procedures, design, products, etc. which is devoted to creating instruments or gadgets or to finish the scientific investigation. It’s a set of knowledge that has practical application in the production, designing and utilization of products for industrial, commercial or regular use.
We’re surrounded by things which are created with the support of certain technology, i.e. whether we work, communicate, travel, manufacture, protected data, business and nearly everywhere. Most men and women use technology, to simplify their work and to extend their skills. Additionally, it ensures a solution to several scientific issues.
- Science may be defined as an organized way of gathering knowledge on a topic, through various observations and experiments. Technology is the practical use of the laws of science for different functions.
- Science is nothing but is a process of exploring new knowledge, While engineering is putting scientific knowledge into practice.
- Science is quite useful to gain knowledge about a natural phenomenon, and their motives. To the contrary, technology can be helpful or harmful, i.e. technology is both a blessing and bane, such that if it’s used in the perfect way, it helps humans in solving lots of issues, however, if it’s put to incorrect uses, it can lead to destruction of the whole world.
- Science remains unchangeable; just additions are made to further understanding. Conversely, technology changes at a fast pace, in the sense that, advancement in preceding technology is continuously created.
- Science stresses on the discovery, like facts and laws of nature. Unlike engineering, focuses on the inventions, like the development of the latest technique, to ease the work of humans.
- Science is the study of structure and behavior of the physical and natural world, to create assumptions. In contrast, technology deals with putting those assumptions into practice.
- Science is concerned with deduction, analysis, and theory development. While, technology is based on analysis and synthesis of design.
- Science is used to make predictions while engineering simplifies the job and satisfy the needs of individuals.
From the above discussion, it is concluded that Science is a useful way to get knowledge about the whole universe while technology is the use of this knowledge to solve our problems or to make our lives calmer that may be both, useful or harmful.