Whenever someone searches for a laptop or computer, the first two things which come in mind are RAM and processor that RAM is of how many GB and processor is how many GHz. Both RAM and processor/RAM are fundamental parts of computer, laptops, notebooks and smart phones.
Their collective performance will decide the whole performance of your system. Difference between them can be the judge from that your system will not operate properly without anyone. So both are required at the same time for collective performance. After this, it will become easy to understand the difference between RAM and processor.
What is RAM?
RAM is a medium of primary storage. Whenever we want to perform some task, memory is first loaded in RAM before the hard drive. The more RAM means the more memory will be stored by it and it will be capable of circulating the memory fast. Its memory storage system is volatile by default. It holds information and processed data until you are working on your computer. When you will shut down your system all memory will be erased automatically. It stores all the memory up to a limit. After reaching a specific limit, it will erase the old useless memory for new memory.
What is a Processor?
Processor is the operating system of a computer which processes the input and saved data. Whenever we command a task to a computer, the processor starts to process the task according to given instructions. It can perform multi-task at the same time. Either you type or play music, all these are performed by the processor. All the functions are processed by its two main function ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) and CU (Control Unit). Its basic unit is GHz. It means it can perform one billion cycles of instructions in one second. The more you will update the processor, the more it will be able to perform high cycles per second. At that time, AMD, ARM and Intel are manufacturing different kinds of processor.
- Processor is assigned with instructions of processing the task while RAM actually runs the program.
- Processor does not hold any memory either system is on or off. RAM holds temporary memory until the system is on and erase automatically all memory when system shutdown. That’s why it is called Random Access Memory.
- Processor is more expensive than RAM.
- A special fan is required for processor because it got heated after some time. Sometimes a special gel is mandatory to keep it cool. There is no concept of heat and requirement of fan and gel in case of RAM.
- Upgrading the RAM is easier than the processor. The processor can be upgraded on one condition if your motherboard can support.
- Although both RAM and processor are an integral part of the computer. However, the processor can be slightly important from RAM in that sense it runs the whole system while RAM just performed the memory matters.
- Having a high processor means the fast processing speed while having high RAM means the more capable of holding the data.
- Processor is not universally accepted by every system. For example, if your motherboard supports only Intel processor, it will not able to support AMD or ARM processor. While RAM is widely acceptable. There is no requirement of specific RAM for the motherboard.