In this article, we will analyze the difference between the PyCharm Free vs. Paid edition and help you choose the right one for your project development.
PyCharm Community – Features and Benefits
Before diving into the comparison between the paid and free edition of PyCharm, let us know about the features and benefits of PyCharm Community.
1. Syntax analysis and highlighter: PyCharm Community provides an excellent syntax analysis feature that identifies errors and syntax problems in a code block, which makes it easier to fix the code.
2. Code completion: PyCharm Community’s code suggestion feature completes the code in real-time by suggesting the relevant code snippets, which enhances the developer’s productivity.
3. Intelligent auto-import: PyCharm automatically adds the required import statements in your code. It allows you to focus entirely on your project code and offers faster development.
4. Refactoring tools: PyCharm Community offers numerous tools for refactoring large code files. This feature is helpful when developers want to enhance the code’s quality by reducing code redundancy and achieving better readability.
5. Debugger: PyCharm Community edition provides the debugger feature, which assists the programmers in finding and solving errors in the code.
6. VCS & Code Review: PyCharm community fully supports Version Control System (VCS) like Git, Perforce, SVN. It also offers integration with its other IDEs like IntelliJ IDEA, and PhpStorm that helps to improve code quality, code review, and collaboration.
7. Dashboard & Frameworks: PyCharm Community edition offers multiple framework support such as Django, Flask, Pyramid, and web frameworks.
PyCharm Professional – Features and Benefits
PyCharm Professional is a paid version and offers additional functionality compared to Community version. Let us explore the features and benefits of PyCharm Professional.
1. Code coverage tools: PyCharm Professional version provides code coverage tools that enable developers to identify and correct the untested parts of the code.
2. Django support: PyCharm Professional edition provides comprehensive Django support with features such as advanced database and model support, interactive SQL console, Django testing, and debugging tools.
3. Remote development: PyCharm Professional offers remote development features, which are helpful when you work with remote servers. It allows you to edit, run, and debug a code from a remote machine without connecting to it physically.
4. Flask support: PyCharm Professional incorporates Flask development support for templates, debugging, and many other efficient tools.
6. Database tools support: PyCharm Professional includes an SQL editing tool, which allows the developers to manipulate databases without ever leaving the IDE.
7. Customizable interface: PyCharm Professional offers a customizable interface, enables developers to choose their preferred design and layout of the IDE’s design.
PyCharm Free vs. Paid – Comparison
Now that we have covered the features and benefits of both PyCharm Community and Professional, let us conduct a comparative analysis between them.
1. Price: PyCharm Community is a free-to-use open-source version with basic features. In contrast, PyCharm Professional is a paid version with a one-time cost of $199/first year/individual or $499/first year/organization with annual renewal fees ranging from $149/individual up to $399/org later.
2. Functionality: PyCharm Community edition provides the most commonly used features required for Python development. PyCharm Professional edition, on the other hand, offers advanced development functionality to meet enterprise requirements by providing more advanced features such as multi-language support, advanced database features, and web development tools.
3. Performance: PyCharm Professional tends to perform better when working on large-scale projects, as it has more advanced tools and functionalities available. However, Community version might be slower as it does not support all the features of PyCharm Professional.
4. Support: PyCharm Professional provides a one-year technical support plan to users in its license fee with multiple contact channels like email, phone, or web support.
Q: Can I start with PyCharm Community edition and later upgrade to PyCharm Professional?
A: Yes, you can upgrade to PyCharm Professional from Community version by taking it’s paid subscription plan.
Q: Will PyCharm Community support my project requirements?
A: PyCharm Community may lack some advanced features as compared to PyCharm professional in some scenarios, but it often fulfills the requirements of most standard projects.
Q: Is a subscription-based plan available for PyCharm Professional?
A: Yes, JetBrains offers a subscription-based plan for PyCharm Professional.
PyCharm is a widely used IDE trusted by developers worldwide for various programming languages. Therefore, choosing the right edition of PyCharm (Free or Paid) is crucial for developers to ensure that it suits their project requirements. PyCharm Community is a good option for beginners, small-scale projects, and developers who prefer basic functionalities. PyCharm Professional provides additional features and advanced functionalities that meet the requirements of enterprises and large-scale project development.