Python is one of the most popular programming languages out there. Its popularity is largely due to its simplicity, versatility, and readability. Python is used in web development, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and many other fields. PyCharm is an integrated development environment (IDE) for Python programming that is considered one of the best IDEs available.
PyCharm is available in two versions: Community Edition and Professional Edition. The Community Edition is a free, open-source version of PyCharm that is designed for hobbyists and students or any non-commercial use. The Professional Edition, on the other hand, is a paid version of PyCharm that comes with more advanced features and is intended for professional use in commercial settings. In this article, we will take a closer look at the differences between PyCharm Community and PyCharm Professional.
PyCharm Community Edition
PyCharm Community is a free, open-source version of PyCharm that is available for download from the JetBrains website. It is a powerful IDE that is widely used by beginning programmers and hobbyists. PyCharm Community Edition provides basic features like syntax highlighting, code completion, debugging, and version control integration. It also provides intelligent code assistance, code executing and testing tools.
PyCharm Community Edition has several useful features to make the development process smoother. It provides an intuitive user interface which makes it easy to navigate and use. It also lets you customize your environment to suit your preferences, such as modifying the theme, changing keyboard shortcuts, and more.
PyCharm Community Edition can be extended with plugins and add-ons that can be downloaded and installed from the JetBrains repository. Some of the popular plugins include Git Integration, Django support, and Python Scientific.
One of the limitations of PyCharm Community Edition is that it doesn’t support remote interpreters, which means you cannot use PyCharm Community to work on code hosted on a remote server.
PyCharm Professional Edition
PyCharm Professional Edition is the paid version of PyCharm that provides more advanced features for professional developers. It is designed for commercial use and provides features like web development framework integration, database tools, scientific tools, and integration with other JetBrains IDEs.
PyCharm Professional Edition provides advanced code analyzing and refactoring features. It also supports remote interpreters, making it possible to use the IDE with code hosted on remote servers.
Some of the unique features of PyCharm Professional Edition include:
• Web and Database Development: PyCharm Pro provides integrated support for web development frameworks like Django, Flask, Pyramid, and more. It also provides integration with databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and others.
• Scientific Development: PyCharm Pro also provides tools for developing scientific applications with Python. It supports popular scientific computing packages like NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, and more.
• Integration with other JetBrains IDEs: PyCharm Professional Edition can be integrated with other JetBrains IDEs like IntelliJ IDEA, PhpStorm, and WebStorm.
Professional developers and organizations that need to manage code on remote servers, work with web and database frameworks, or use advanced scientific computing packages, would benefit from the PyCharm Professional Edition.
Comparison Between PyCharm Community and PyCharm Professional
PyCharm Community and PyCharm Professional are both great IDEs for Python development but differ in their feature sets, price, and versatility. Below are some of the main differences between the two versions:
• Price: PyCharm Community Edition is free and open-source, while PyCharm Professional Edition requires a paid license. Individual developers, students, and teachers can use PyCharm Professional Edition for free for educational purposes.
• Features: PyCharm Professional Edition provides more advanced features than PyCharm Community Edition, such as web development framework integration, advanced scientific tools, and support for remote interpreters.
• Commercial use: PyCharm Community Edition is intended primarily for personal, non-commercial use, while PyCharm Professional Edition is designed for commercial use.
• Support: PyCharm Professional Edition users receive support from the JetBrains team, while PyCharm Community Edition is supported by the open-source community.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is PyCharm Community Edition completely free?
Yes, PyCharm Community Edition is completely free and open-source.
2. What is the difference between PyCharm Community and PyCharm Professional?
PyCharm Professional Edition provides more advanced features like web development framework integration, database tools, and scientific computing tools. PyCharm Community Edition is intended for personal, non-commercial use, while PyCharm Professional Edition is designed for commercial use.
3. Can I use PyCharm Professional for free?
Individual developers, students, and teachers can use PyCharm Professional for free for educational purposes.
4. Does PyCharm Community support remote interpreters?
No, PyCharm Community Edition does not support remote interpreters.
5. Which PyCharm version should I use?
It depends on your needs. If you are a beginner or hobbyist, PyCharm Community is a great choice. If you are a professional developer or organization that requires advanced features and commercial support, PyCharm Professional is the better option.