The main difference between prawn and shrimp is that prawn claw-like legs have three pairs while shrimp claw-like legs have two pairs.
|Basis of Distinction||Prawn||Shrimp|
|Definition||Prawn is an eatable sea creature with hard skins and ten legs.||Shrimp is a term used for those sea creatures with elongated bodies that are common in Dendrobranchiata and Caridea.|
|Bend on Body||Not clear||Clearly visible|
|Gills||Branching||Lamellar or plate-like gills|
|Calories||105 kcal/100 gram||99 kcal/100 gram|
|Protein||20.14/100 gram||24 gram/100 gram|
|Types||Three known types of prawn are Giant river prawn, Tiger prawn, and Indian prawn.||Five known types of shrimp are Atlantic white shrimp, white leg shrimp, pink shrimp, dotted shrimp and brown shrimp.|
What is Prawn?
Prawn is an eatable sea creature with hard skins and ten legs. Most of the types of prawn can be eaten while there are few that are not fit for eating purpose. The word prawn is often confused with shrimp; however, it stands for entirely a different sea animal. Many signs create the differences between prawn and shrimp. Despite the fact that prawns are different from shrimp in many ways still in many countries the term prawn and shrimp stands for the same thing. The word prawn is mostly used in the United Kingdom while those living in the United States use the word shrimp for the same thing. Most of the biologists describe the word for a creature that is found in the sea in larger forms. Its body formation is entirely different from the shrimp in many ways. First of all, each segment of prawn body overlaps the one behind, resulting the second segment overlaps the third segment only. The other visible difference between prawn and shrimp is that prawn body shape contains no distinct bend at all. It contains more calories compared to shrimp. 100 gram of prawn contains 105 kcal.
What is Shrimp?
Shrimp is sea animal just like prawn but different from it on many grounds. The term shrimp is often used to denote those sea animals having elongated bodies and have the capabilities of swimming mode of locomotion. In some fields and areas, the word prawn and shrimp are often confused and taken as the interchangeable word for the same creature. As compared to prawn, it has more types. It is in abundant in many seas and oceans of the world. Currently, there are thousands of species of shrimp sin which only a few are eatable. Shrimp are habitats of the seafloor and can be found near coastal areas and also in the lakes and rivers. Its lifespan is also more than prawn. In average, a shrimp can live from one to seven years. As compared to prawn, shrimp mostly lives in a large form of school during the spawning season. Their demand is many time higher than that of prawn and for the same reason share a greater part of the food chain. Shrimp is also a primary food source for the sea creatures like fish and whales. It is also caught and farmed for the human consumption as well.
- Body formation of prawn is different from shrimp. Each segment of prawn body overlaps the one behind, resulting the second segment overlaps the third segment only while the second segment on shrimp body overlaps both the first and third segments.
- Prawn body shape contains no distinct bend while bend on shrimp body is clearly visible.
- Prawn has branching gills while shrimp has lamellar or plate-like gills.
- Prawn lies legs into the water while shrimp broad these on the underside of their body.
- Prawns sub order is Dendrobranchiata while shrimp suborder is Pleocyemata.
- Prawns are mostly larger than shrimps, but you can also have shrimp larger than prawns.
- Shrimps have larger front pincers while prawns’ second pincers are larger than the front ones.
- Prawns legs are longer than shrimp legs.
- Prawns contain more calories as compared to shrimp. 100 gram of prawn contains 105 kcal while 100 gram of shrimp contains 99 kcal.
- Shrimp possess more protein as compared to the prawn. 100 gram of shrimp contains 24-gram protein while 100 gram of prawn contains 14-gram protein.
- The term prawn is used to donate the larger taxonomic groups while shrimp is used for smaller species.
- Shrimp has more types as compared to prawn. Currently, the five known types of shrimp are Atlantic white shrimp, white leg shrimp, pink shrimp, dotted shrimp and brown shrimp. Three known types of prawn are Giant river prawn, Tiger prawn, and Indian prawn.
- In prawn, the head overlaps the thorax area which overlaps the abdomen and looks like the shingles on a roof. In shrimp, the thorax extends over both the head and the abdomen like a band.
- Shrimp tastes buttery and while prawn tastes like chicken.
- Most of the biologist called prawn the habitat of freshwater and shrimp is the term used for the marine penaeids.
- Shrimp is more common food allergens as compared to the prawn.
- In the Jewish religion, it is allowed to eat prawn, but shrimp is not allowed to eat. Some school of thoughts of Islam allows for eating of shrimp only.