Polysporin On Dogs

Polysporin is a popular over-the-counter antibiotic ointment used for many purposes, including the treatment of infections in dogs. This medication contains two active ingredients- polymyxin B sulfate and bacitracin zinc- which are commonly used in the treatment of bacterial infections.

While Polysporin may be effective in treating certain bacterial infections in dogs, it is important to use it with caution and follow your veterinarian’s advice.

When is Polysporin Used on Dogs?

Polysporin can be used to treat a variety of bacterial infections in dogs. These may include:

1. Skin Infections: Skin infections in dogs are common, and they can be caused by bacteria or fungi. These infections may result in irritation, itching, and skin lesions. Polysporin can be used to treat bacterial skin infections, such as hot spots, impetigo, and pyoderma.

2. Ear Infections: Ear infections are caused by bacteria or yeast overgrowth in the ear canal. Dogs with floppy ears or furry ears are more prone to this type of infection. Polysporin can be used to treat bacterial ear infections.

3. Eye Infections: Eye infections in dogs can be bacterial or viral. Common symptoms include redness, swelling, and discharge from the eye. Polysporin can be used as a topical treatment for bacterial eye infections in dogs.

4. Wound Infections: Wounds on the skin or other parts of the body can become infected with bacteria. Polysporin can be used to treat bacterial infections that result from wounds on the skin.

How to Apply Polysporin on Dogs?

Before applying Polysporin ointment on your dog, it is important to clean the affected area thoroughly. You can use warm water and a mild soap to clean the area around the wound or lesion. Pat the area dry with a clean, dry towel.

Take a small amount of Polysporin and gently apply it to the affected area using a clean finger or cotton swab. Do not overdose the ointment as it can be harmful to dogs.

If the area is difficult to reach, such as inside the ear or eye, it is always better to seek the advice of a veterinarian before applying Polysporin.

FAQs about Polysporin use in Dogs

Q) Is Polysporin Safe for Dogs?

A) Polysporin is considered safe when used properly and in moderation. However, allergic reactions are possible. If you notice any unusual symptoms, such as excessive itching or swelling, stop using the medication and contact your veterinarian.

Q) Can I Use Polysporin for More than 7 Days?

A) Polysporin should not be used for more than 7 days unless otherwise directed by your veterinarian. Prolonged use of the ointment may increase the risk of side effects or bacterial resistance.

Q) What Should I Do if My Dog Licks Polysporin?

A) If your dog licks Polysporin, it is not harmful. However, it is always better to prevent your dog from licking the ointment, as it can reduce its effectiveness.

Q) Can I Use Human Polysporin on Dogs?

A) Polysporin designed for human use often contains additional ingredients that may not be safe for dogs. It is always better to use a product designed specifically for veterinary use.


Polysporin is a popular medication for treating bacterial infections in dogs. It is important to use this medication with caution and only under the guidance of a veterinarian. Ensure that the affected area is clean before applying the ointment and carefully follow the instructions for use. If you notice any unusual side effects, stop using the medication and contact your veterinarian immediately.