Oval Vs Oblong Face: Understanding the Key Differences
Facial shape plays an important role in defining our overall look and appearance. Whether oval or oblong, the shape of our face can have a significant impact on the hairstyles, eyeglasses, and makeup we choose. In this article, we will discuss the differences between oval and oblong faces, and how you can choose the best styles to accentuate your facial features.
What is an Oval Face?
An oval face is characterized by a gently rounded forehead and jawline. The cheekbones are generally the widest part of the face, while the jawline is slightly narrower than the forehead. The length of the face is about one and a half times the width, giving it a balanced and symmetrical look.
People with an oval face shape are considered to have the most versatile facial structure. They can pull off almost any hairstyle, makeup look, or accessory with ease. Some of the most popular hairstyles for oval faces include layered cuts, bobs, and beachy waves. When it comes to eyeglasses, oval faces can experiment with different shapes and styles, such as round or square frames.
What is an Oblong Face?
An oblong face, also known as a rectangular face, is characterized by a long and narrow structure. The forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width, giving the face a more angular appearance. The length of the face is longer than the width, often twice as long.
People with an oblong face shape should focus on creating the illusion of width to balance out their elongated features. Hairstyles with lots of volume and layers work well for oblong faces, such as bouncy curls, loose waves, and textured pixie cuts. Avoid straight and flat hairstyles, as they can make the face look even longer. Eyeglasses with a wide and bold frame can help add width to the face and balance out the angular features.
Differences between Oval and Oblong Faces
While both oval and oblong faces share a few similarities, there are some key differences to keep in mind.
1. Face Length
The biggest difference between oval and oblong faces is the length of the face. Oval faces are about one and a half times the width, while oblong faces are more than twice as long as they are wide.
The jawline of an oval face is gently rounded, while an oblong face has a more angular jawline that is almost the same width as the forehead and cheekbones.
The cheekbones of an oval face are the widest part of the face, while an oblong face has cheekbones that are about the same width as the forehead and jawline.
Oval faces are known for their balanced and symmetrical features, while the angular features of an oblong face can sometimes appear asymmetrical.
Oval faces are considered the most versatile facial structure, while oblong faces require more attention to create a balanced and harmonious look.
Styling Tips for Oval and Oblong Faces
Now that you know the differences between oval and oblong faces, it’s time to explore some styling tips to accentuate your natural features.
Styling Tips for Oval Faces
1. Hairstyles – Layered cuts, bobs, and beachy waves work well for oval faces. Avoid hairstyles that cover your face, as they can hide your natural symmetry.
2. Eyeglasses – Experiment with different shapes and styles, such as round or square frames. Large frames can overwhelm the face, so choose a size that’s proportionate to your features.
3. Makeup – Play up your eyes and lips with bold colors and subtle definition. Keep your cheeks natural and minimal, as your cheekbones are already a defining feature.
Styling Tips for Oblong Faces
1. Hairstyles – Volume and layers are your best friend when it comes to hairstyles. Go for bouncy curls, loose waves, and textured pixie cuts. Avoid straight and flat hairstyles that can elongate the face.
2. Eyeglasses – Choose frames with a wider and bolder shape to add width to your face. Avoid narrow or small frames that will only accentuate the length of your face.
3. Makeup – Play up your cheekbones with a subtle contour and use a bright blush to add color and dimension to your face. Keep your eyes and lips natural and understated.
While oval and oblong faces share a few similarities, they require different approaches when it comes to styling and accentuating the facial features. Knowing your facial structure can help you choose the most flattering hairstyles, eyeglasses, and makeup looks to enhance your natural beauty. By following these tips and tricks, you can feel confident and beautiful no matter what your facial shape may be.