OLTP and OLAP are the IT systems. Both system are different. OLTP is transactional system while OLAP is analytical system. Source data is provided to data warehouse by OLTP and is analyzed by OLAP. OLAP deals with the operation in a system with lot of short transactions. OLAP deals with historical data with low volume of transactions.
What is OLTP?
OLTP stands for On-line Transaction Processing. OLTP is transactional system and deals with the operation in a system with lot of short transactions on-line i.e. INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE. OLTP focus on very fast query processing. It is quite efficient to maintain data in multi-accessed environments. The data is frequently updated.
What is OLAP?
OLAP stands for On-line Analytical Processing. OLAP is analytical system and deals with historical data with low volume of transactions. Response time is an effective measure of the OLAP systems. data is stored in multi-dimensional schemes and is aggregated. Queries are quite complex here. Its processing speed depends upon the amount of data involved.
- OLTP stands for On-line Transaction Processing while OLAP stands for On-line Analytical Processing.
- OLTP provides data to data warehouse while OLAP analyze this data.
- OLTP deals with operational data while OLAP deals with historical data.
- In OLTP queries are simple while in OLAP queries are relatively complex.
- Processing speed of OLTP is very fast while in OLAP processing speed depends upon the amount of data.
- OLTP requires less space for data as compare to OLAP.
- Database design of OLAP is highly normalized with many tables while in OLAP the database design is de-normalized with few tables.
- In OLTP database transactions are short while in OLAP database transaction are long.
- IN OLTP volume transactions are high while in OLAP volume transaction are low.
- In OLAP transaction recovery is necessary while in OLTP transaction recovery is not necessary.
- OLTP focuses on updating data while OLAP focuses on reporting and retrieval of data.