The main differences that differentiate between these two rodents animals are their life cycles, habitats, health, etc
Difference between Mice and Rat
What is Mice?
Mice is a type of mammal rodents in tiny, small rounded ears and sparrow size with long thin nails. Common house mouse is the best example of mice. It belongs to the kingdom of animalia, phylum of chordata, class of mammalia, family of muridae and subfamily of murinae. There are 30 species of mice. Its size measure 140mm to 190mm in length, including tails and weight 12grams to 30 grams. It is mostly found in white, brown and gray colour. They are normally found in every part of the world.
What is Rat?
Rat is a type of long tailed mammal rodents that is mostly found in medium size. It belongs to the kingdom of animalia, phylum of chordata, class of mammalia, family of muridae and subfamily of murinae, and super-family of muroidea. There are 64 species of rat. They are also found in various part of the world. There size can be grow up to 450mm and weight almost more than mice can be up to 300 grams. It is mostly found in white, brown, black and gray colour. They can’t live without water and needs water regularly.
Key Differences between Mice and Rat
- Adult mice weight can be 12 to 30 grams while adult rat weight can be up to 300 grams.
- Rat tail is larger than mice it can be 150-200 mm while mice tail can be 80-100 mm.
- Mice ears are large relative to head while rat ears are small relative to head size.
- Mice tail is longer than body and is thin while rat tail is shorter than body and is thick and heavy.
- Rats are omnivorous and eats almost anything including meat and needs to drink water regularly. Mice are nibbles and prefers cereals and can survive without water.
- Rats average life is 9-8months and sexually active from 2-3 months. Mice lives from 9-12 months and sexually active from 6 weeks.
- There are 30 species of mice while rat have 64 species.
- Feces is also the difference between two. Mice has small feces while rat has larger feces.