The main difference between histology and cytology is that histology is the study of chemical composition, microscopic structure and how the tissue or tissue systems of animals or plants work. On the other hand, cytology is the study of cells of both animals and plants only.
Contents: Difference between Histology and Cytology
|Definition||Study of microscopic structure and chemical composition of tissue systems||Study of structure and functions of cells|
|Slides for Preparation||Five||Not defined|
|Limitations||Work better for details of tissue architecture||Work better for cellular details|
|Cost of Study||Higher||Low|
|Dependency||Create on slides and samples||Also, create own samples but also depend on the work of histotechnicians or histotechnologists as well.|
What is Histology?
Histology is the logical investigation of the fine detail of natural cells and tissues utilizing a magnifying lens to take a gander at examples of tissues that have been precisely arranged utilizing exceptional procedures called “histological strategies.” It is a system that is fundamental for the comprehension and progression of science, medication, veterinary prescription and many sub-trains inside those logical subjects. It is regularly performed by inspecting cells and tissues under a light magnifying lens or electron magnifying lens, the example having been segmented (cut into a thin cross area with a microtome), recolored, and mounted on a magnifying instrument slide.
Histological studies might be led utilizing tissue culture, where live human or creature cells are disengaged and kept up in a simulated domain for different research ventures. The capacity to picture or differentially distinguish infinitesimal structures is much of the time improved using histological stains. Histology is a basic device of science and prescription.
What is Cytology?
The word cytology is gotten from the Greek word “kytos,” which signifies “container.” Cells contain many parts (which are called organelles), each of which has particular capacities to perform. A few sorts of organelles are available in all cells, however, for the most part, the shape and amount of the organelles in a cell is identified with the kind of tissue of which the cell is a section – and the capacities that tissue performs inside the life form. This is essential because numerous medicinal conditions and infections are analyzed by the examination of cells utilizing a magnifying lens.
The appearance the cells give the healing center staff data about the sort of condition and it’s encouraging. This data is then used to prescribe and mastermind suitable treatment to impact the soonest conceivable recuperation for the patient. The advance of the treatment may likewise be checked utilizing cytology, i.e. the examination of further cell tests to evaluate the achievement of the systems, drugs, or other methodology utilized.
Key Differences between Histology and Cytology
- Histology is the overall study of the microscopic anatomy of cells and tissues whereas the cytology is the simple study of cells only.
- Histology has more specific focus as compared to the cytology.
- Histology is looking at tissue samples and can usually identify what sort of tissue you are looking at. Cytology is examining cells from fluid to gain insights about the fluid from what is seen.
- The five stands involved in the preparation of histology slides are fixing, processing, embedding, sectioning, and staining. While cytology has no such stages classification for the preparation of cytology slides.
- Histology discusses the tissue architecture of a particular tissue while cytology discusses cellular areas only.
- As histology involved preparation of five slides so the costs for histological studies are higher than cytology.
- Cytology delivers the best cellular details as compared to the histological observations.
- Tissue details can be better found in the histology only.
- Histology technicians have more extensive training than cytology technicians
- Histology technicians use a variety of techniques to create usable slides, including drying the tissues or using tinting agents to stain the tissues and make their structure more visible. Cytotechnologists are capable of preparing their slides from tissue samples.
- Histology technicians work independently, but cytotechnologist might examine slides prepared by histotechnicians or histotechnologists.