We all reads books and have our preference when it comes to the genre. Several of them exist and get divided on the basis of the writer’s imagination. The two main kinds of them getting discussed in this article are fiction and non-fiction that have their variations. Fiction gets defined as a type of literature gets described as the documentation in the form of prose, especially novels, that describes imaginary events and people. Non Fiction is the kind of research that gets defined as prose writing that is informative or factual rather than fictional.
|Basis of Distinction||Fiction||Non Fiction|
|Definition||The literature in the form of prose, especially novels, that describes imaginary events and people.||A prose writing that is informative or factual rather than fictional.|
|Nature||The smallest category in literature.||Biggest class in literature.|
|Types||Literature Fiction, Urban Fiction, Westerns, Women’s fiction., Workplace tell-all. General cross-genre. Historical romance.||Biography, business, cooking, health, and fitness, pets, crafts, home decorating, languages, travel, home improvement, religion, art and music, history, self-help, true crime, science, and humor.|
|Distinction||Characters, storyline, and places do not exist in real.||Characters, storyline, and locations get based on reality.|
|Examples||The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.||The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, Bossypants by Tina Fey, Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.|
What is Fiction?
This kind of literature gets described as the literature in the form of prose, especially novels, that describes imaginary events and people. It does not have any resemblance to the people in real life and only focuses on the events and individuals that get created on their own. Most of the work in this field includes the fairy tales filled with mythical creatures. The author has the right to build anything they want, and all the events are made up, the characters and the plot are such that anyone who reads it will know that the things do not exist in the real world. It never claims to explain the events happening in actual or anything that is possible but only has given an experience that people have when they go in imagination. Literary fiction is the first type that comes closest to something real. All the characters seem like they are part of our lives, the story gets based on literary merit, and the authors always concentrate on the writing styles. It has complexity all over the board and has high levels of languages used. Three main types of fiction stories exist, first one is the short story that ranges from at least 2000 words but under 7500 words. The novella is a part that ranges from 17500 words to under 50,000 words, and the last one is a proper novel that ranges from 50,000 words to more. Some famous examples of this are Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia that have mythical creatures present within them.
What is Non Fiction?
Non-Fiction is the type of literature that gets defined as prose writing that is informative or factual rather than fictional. All the characters involved within this story become possible, most of the things and the story revolves around actual events that have either taken place, or there are chances of them taking place. The writer assumes the responsibility of everything that is written and has to do background check based on everything that gets discussed. But there is no requirement, even the information included in it turn out to be false but the events and the story are something that a person who reads, gets an idea that all of it is possible in our world. A wide range of types fall into this category, and some of them are as follows. An academic paper that students write as part of their assignment or project that contains facts and results based on the information. An autobiography that is the description of someone’s life and the events taking place. Diary that has details of daily life of a person based on their things happening at 24 hours’ basis. A book that covers subjects like physics, chemistry, and biology. Technical writing that includes letters, memos, emails and other forms that help in moving information from one person to the other. History of events taking place in the past and the dictionary that has meanings of words. Name of characters may not be real, but the events and the stories are part of our lives and give proper bearings.
Key Differences between Fiction and Non Fiction
- Fiction gets defined as the literature in the form of prose, especially novels, that describes imaginary events and people. Non-fiction gets defined as a prose writing that is informative or factual rather than fictional.
- The smallest category in literature is the fiction where there is no room for types whereas the biggest range of literature falls in the non-fictional category.
- The primary type of non-fiction include biography, business, cooking, health and fitness, pets, crafts, home decorating, languages, travel, home improvement, religion, art and music, history, self-help, true crime, science, and humor. Main types of fiction include Urban fiction, Westerns, Women’s fiction., Workplace tell-all, General cross-genre. Historical romance.
- Best examples of fiction books include The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K Rowling. Best examples of non-fiction books include The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, Bossypants by Tina Fey, Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
- Most of the characters, storyline and the places have no existing evidence in the real life when the case of fictional books gets discussed whereas most of the characters, storyline and the places exist in the real world and have some relevance.