Evenings and Afternoons are marked differently. The evening is defined as the day following an afternoon and before night and occurs between 5 pm and 7 pm. On the other hand, the afternoon is the time after lunch and before evening that starts around 1 pm and ends around 5 pm.
|Starting at||6:00 p.m.||At noon|
|Greetings||‘Good evening.’||‘Good afternoon.’|
|Ends with||Nightfall||Beginning of the evening|
|Time of the day:||after the afternoon and before night||begins at midday and ends in the evening|
|The setting of the sun||the beginning of the evening||when the afternoon starts.|
|Time:||5:30 to 6:00 p.m.||right after 12:00 o’clock noon|
|occurs||after having their dinner.||people wind up their daily tasks and go home|
What is Evening?
The evening has been around from Old English and used since the 15th century. It is the day when the sun sets and the daylight hours begin to diminish. It occurs after the afternoon and before night, whenever the sun starts to develop and ends only with the rise of the moonlight when night begins.
It is from 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. At night, there are parties and people sleep late. This occurred primarily in cities, where people typically go out to party in the evenings and then sleep all night. People who live in the countryside usually have their dinner around 8:00 p.m., and then retire to bed.
‘Good evening’ is the greeting used in the evening. Evenings are referred to as “post meridiem,” a Latin term that means “day’s end.” Timings of the evening are never consistent; in other words, it changes throughout the year. It may also be defined as the last part of the day, after which the sunsets.
What is the Afternoon?
The afternoon is after the morning, which is distinct from “post meridiem” (p.m.) in Latin. The afternoon is the time between noon and evening, after the morning. It is the period between late afternoon and early evening. It begins when the sun rises and finishes when the sunsets.
Most people take a nap in the afternoon. As a result, the afternoon can be considered a less productive day. Soon after noon, the afternoon begins. It will take place between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m.
Because it is low during the day, many car incidents are likely to occur in the afternoon, when people get back from work or university, they start preparing dinner.
As people finish their daily activities and return home as the afternoon draws close. The afternoon greeting is ‘good afternoon.’ Because the sun is at a side angle in the afternoon, it is dazzling yet bright.
Key Differences Between Evening and Afternoon:
- While the evening follows the afternoon, it leads the night; on the other hand, the afternoon follows the afternoon and leads the evening.
- Moonrise and sundown mark the end of the evening; on the other hand, the afternoon begins with the rising sun and goes with the setting sun.
- Evening time begins at 5:30 p.m. and ends at 6:00 p.m., whereas afternoon time begins just after 12:00 p.m.
- Evenings last until 8:00 p.m., and afternoons last until 2:00 p.m. It will last from 5:30 to 6:00 p.m.
- We normally greet individuals in the afternoon by saying, ‘Good Afternoon.’ When it’s time for dinner, we say ‘Good Evening’ to everyone.
- After dinner, people retire to bed, which marks the beginning and end of the evening. People finish their daily activities and return home as the afternoon draws close.
- When the sun sets or twilight begins, the evening begins, while when the afternoon begins, the sun begins to descend from its peak.
- During the evening, the third part of the day is taking place while the afternoon is taking place during the second part.
- Even in winter, when evening conditions might already be setting in, afternoon tea continues to be considered a snack around 4 p.m.
- Evening ends with Nightfall and afternoon ends with the start of the evening.
The day, evenings, and afternoons are divided into two distinct parts. Both the afternoon and the evening are parts of the day that occur after midday.
They differ based on their timing and occurrence. As evenings fall between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., afternoons fall between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. The timing of the evening and the afternoon are not constant; they often differ based on the time zone.
On the other hand, evening timings differ according to the location and happen throughout the year. On the other hand, lunchtime, also known as afternoon, stays the same all year round.