Primer and dehydrator are two essential products in the world of nail art that ensure the longevity and durability of your manicure. Applying these products in the right order is crucial, so you get the desired results, but many of us do not know which product to apply first, primer or dehydrator. In this article, we will discuss the topic in detail and compare the benefits and drawbacks of using each product.
What is Nail Primer?
Nail primer is a base coat that helps the nail polish adhere better and stay on longer. It creates a smooth surface for nail polish and strengthens the natural nail. The primer is used to get a smooth, even surface to apply nail polish, and it also fills ridges and cracks on the nail surface to make it appear smoother. It is available in various types and colors and can be used to match the natural color of your nails.
What is a Nail Dehydrator?
A dehydrator, as its name suggests, dehydrates the nail bed and the plate, allowing the nail polish to adhere better. A dehydrator works by eliminating moisture from your nails, making them oil-free and ready to take on the nail polish. It is an essential step to ensure a long-lasting result for any nail art.
Does Primer or Dehydrator Go First?
Many people get confused about whether to apply primer or dehydrator first. In reality, it depends on the type of product being used. In most cases, it is necessary to dry the nails with a dehydrator before applying primer. This removes any moisture or oils from the nail surface and ensures that the primer bonds well to the nails.
On the other hand, if you’re using a non-acidic primer, you can apply the primer before the dehydrator. The non-acidic primer coats the nail surface and protects it from harmful chemicals and UV rays from nail polish, so applying it first can be beneficial for added protection.
How to Apply Primer and Dehydrator?
To apply the nail primer, you need to clean and dry your nails well. Use a clean cotton swab or brush to apply the primer to the nail bed in thin layers. Allow each coat to dry for a minute or two before applying the next layer.
For the dehydrator, use a brush to apply it to the entire nail surface, including the tips and the sides. Leave it to dry for a few seconds before starting the manicure.
Benefits of Using Primer
Nail primer offers several benefits, making it an essential part of any nail art routine. Some of these benefits include:
1. Improves Nail Adhesion: Primer helps the nail polish adhere better to the nails, which keeps the polish from chipping or peeling.
2. Protects the Nail Surface: A primer acts as a barrier between the nail and toxic chemicals and UV rays, protecting the nail from damage.
3. Enhances the Appearance of the Nails: Primer helps conceal any blemishes and flaws on the nails, giving them a smooth and even surface.
Drawbacks of Using Primer
Although nail primer offers several benefits, there are also a few drawbacks to consider. These include:
1. Cost: Primer tends to be more expensive than other nail products, especially if you’re using a high-quality product.
2. Requires Time: Applying multiple layers of primer can take a while to dry, which can slow down the nail art process.
Benefits of Using Dehydrator
A nail dehydrator also has several benefits that make it an essential part of any nail art routine. Some of these benefits include:
1. Removes Oils and Moisture: A dehydrator removes any trace of moisture, oils, or contaminants from the nail surface, allowing the nail polish to adhere better.
2. Prevents Lifts: Dehydrating the nails before applying nail polish ensures that the polish stays in place and does not lift.
3. Enhances Polish Adhesion: Dehydrating the nails allows the nail polish to form a tight bond with the nail surface, resulting in a long-lasting manicure.
Drawbacks of Using Dehydrator
Although a dehydrator has several benefits, it also has its share of drawbacks, which include:
1. Dries Out the Nails: Overusing a dehydrator can strip the natural oils and moisture from the nails, leaving them dry and brittle.
2. Can Cause Damage: Using a dehydrator incorrectly or on damaged nails can lead to nail damage or brittleness.
1. Can I use dehydrator and primer together?
Yes, you can use both dehydrator and primer together for a long-lasting manicure.
2. Can I use dehydrator to remove oils before applying nail polish?
Yes, you can use a dehydrator to remove oils before applying nail polish for a longer-lasting manicure.
3. How often should you use a dehydrator?
It is recommended to use a dehydrator once a week to prevent excessive drying of the nails.
Primer and dehydrator are both essential nail products that ensure a long-lasting and durable manicure. The order in which these products are used depends on the type of product being used. In most cases, it is best to use dehydrator first, followed by the primer. However, if you’re using a non-acidic primer, you can apply it first. Both products have their benefits and drawbacks, and it’s important to use them correctly to ensure the best results.