The basic difference between a DB and a data warehouse arises from the information that a data warehouse is type of database that is used for data analysis. A database is a planned collection of data stored on a computer system. Information about students, teachers, and classes in a school stored in table is an example for a database. DB support huge amount of data, synchronized processing and real operations. But the other hand data warehouse is a special type of DB. Which is improved for querying and analysis. Data warehouse extract data from different sources.
What is Database?
A DB is simply a collection of planned information, usually as a set of related lists of similar items. The data is often structured so that it is easily manageable. For example, a school DB would have several table as teachers, students, and classes where each table would have records that specify information about each item. A DB often involves a software system called Database Management System (DBMS) that is responsible for storing and managing the data in the DB. MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server are some well-known DBMS.
What is Data Warehouse?
A data warehouse is a special type if DB used for analysis of data. It collects and stores integrated sets of historical data from multiple operational systems and feeds them to one or more data marts. It may also provide end-user access to support enterprise views of data.
- A database stores current data while a data warehouse stores historical data.
- A database often changes due to frequent updates done on it, and hence, it cannot be used for analysis or reaching decision. A data warehouse extracts data and reports them to analyze and reach decisions.
- A general database is used for Online Transactional Processing while a data warehouse is used for Online Analytical Processing.
- Tables in a database are normalized to achieve efficient storage while a data warehouse is usually demoralized to achieve faster querying.
- Analytical queries are much faster on a data warehouse than on a database.
- A database contains highly detailed data while a data warehouse contains summarized data.
- A database provides a detailed relational view while a data warehouse provides a summarized multidimensional view.
- A database can do a lot of concurrent transactions while a data warehouse is not designed for such tasks.