Exercising and going to the gym can become a habit for most people while others have to do it to lose weight, if you belong to any of these categories then you will have to perform these two exercises. Crunching is the type in which people have to move their upper body in the top direction while their lower back stays on the ground and they have to move a few inches above. Whereas Sit Ups is an exercise in which people have to move their body in the upwards direction where only their hips stay on the ground, and they have to move a few feet.
|Basis of Distinction||Crunches||Sit Ups|
|Usage||Done by people who want to either tone their stomach down or to show abs.||Usually done by people who want to lose weight or belly fat.|
|Exertion||Three sets of 12 repetitions.||Three sets of 12 repetitions.|
|Frequency||As many days in a week.||2 to 3 times in a week.|
|Exercise||People lie down and try to move their head and neck along with upper back in the upward direction.||People lie down and try to move all their parts from head to back and try to stand up in the sit up exercise.|
|Nature||Makes muscles stronger||Removes fat.|
What is Crunches?
Crunches are the type of exercise that has originated from the word crunch; this is a sound that people make when something is being crushed or moving over, whenever something hits the other person they hear a crushing sound. Since this exercise is tough and people end up having to make different sounds, it got the name. The primary purpose of this exercise is to ensure that the muscle of the abdomen come in motion and to help them stay active. This type of activity mostly done by people who either want to lose weight and make their stomach look thinner or the ones who want to show their muscles off. The way of performing this exercise is different from the usual ones. In this, a person has to lay down on the floor or any surface that is balanced, then they have to spread their legs in the forwards direction, and they should firmly stay placed. You can either lay them straight or keep them in bending position with your knees pointing upwards. People do not have to lift their entire body in the upwards direction; they just have to move the upper body, which consists of the head, neck and the top portion of their back. Now they have to move it upwards, lift it in such a way that their lower back stays on the ground, but the upper portion keeps moving. Then you go back to the original position and perform this activity many times. Usually, a person has to perform three sets of 12 repetitions and is an exercise that can be performed daily since it does not take much of your time.
What is Sit Ups?
Sit Ups is an exercise which helps is to make sure that the muscle of the abdomen come in motion and to help them stay active. This type of training mostly done by people who either want to lose weight and make their stomach look thinner or the ones who want to show their muscles off. The way of performing this exercise is different from the usual ones. It is mostly used by people who want to lose weight and belly fats, individuals who want to make their muscles visible usually avoid it. Moving on the process, People have to keep their knees bent and their feet on the floor, in this way their heel will be on the ground. Then you have to keep your hands either on your shoulders, or the back of your head depending on how smooth you feel. Now they have to move it upwards, lift it in such a way that their hips stay on the ground but the upper portion keeps moving. In this, you have to move your complete body instead of just your upper parts. While in crunches people move the body few inches, here you have to move it more than a foot, this is an extreme exercise which is recommended to be done two or three times in a week. People have to hold the position for a few seconds; this means they will not be able to go down that quickly if they want to lose weight. People usually perform three sets of this exercise with the repetitions vary from 10-15 on personal choice and stamina.
Key Differences between Crunches and Sit Ups
- Crunch is an exercise performed by people who want to either tone their stomach down or to show abs, whereas sit ups performed by people who want to lose weight or belly fat.
- Crunches exercise often involves the abdominal muscles, and the hip flexors may also be added depending on the position whereas Sit ups use stabilizing muscles in chest, back, neck and hips.
- Sit Ups is considered a severe exercise, therefore, it is recommended to do it around 2-3 times in the week depending on your weight loss program whereas crunching is allowed to be performed even on a daily basis.
- People lie down and try to move their head and neck along with upper back in the upward direction whereas people lie down and try to move all their parts from head to back and try to stand up in the sit up exercise.
- Both the exercises finish and start with the same frequency, and people perform three sets of 12 repetitions.
- Individuals who carry out the crunch exercise mostly focus on making their muscles stronger whereas people who perform the sit-up exercise tend to do that so they can lose weight.