The key difference between Burrito and Taco is the size and filling of these Mexican foods. However, burritos are much larger as compared to tacos. A taco is a soft corn tortilla that is filled with meat with a combination of onion, cilantro, and salsa.
On the other hand, burritos are made with soft flour tortilla, meat, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese; well these burritos are not Mexican burritos. In Mexico, burritos have a small flour tortilla, different types of meat with sauces, or different fillings inside.
The taco is one of the most traditional snacks whereas the burritos are the 20th-century innovation. Both of these food items are very popular and originated in Mexico.
Contents: Difference between Burrito and Taco
|Introduction||Burrito is a Mexican dish that contains flour tortilla with various ingredients||Taco is a Mexican dish that consists of corn tortilla folded around a filing|
|The wrap||Thick flour made tortillas are used for the wrap||Taco has a soft corn tortilla for a wrap|
|Origin||Mexico, 20th century||It is much older than a burrito, Mexico|
|Filling||Meat, rice, beans, veggies, cheese, etc||Only one kind of meat|
|Garnishing||The burrito has no particular garnishing||The taco can be garnished with onions, salsa, sour cream and other sauces|
|Size||Larger in size||Smaller as compared to burrito|
|Style||It’s a Mexican food||Taco is also a Mexican food|
|Assembly||Ingredients fill in a shell-shaped taco||A tortilla wraps around filling with one side opening|
What is Burrito?
Burrito is a very well-known Mexican cuisine savory dish, basically a wrapped flour tortilla full of compacted flavorful ingredients. It can be mostly taken as a complete meal because of its wide variety of flavors. It is available in different flavors like chicken, beef, pork, etc. it is filling or can be considered as a healthy meal.
Mostly burritos start with a large wheat tortilla about 30 cm diameters. You can put the inside filling of your choice in the middle and then roll it up, folding the ends neatly inside the roll. Everything should be closed inside the burrito.
Burritos hold a lot as compared to taco and generally start with beans and rice. There are many varieties of burritos. The dish basically consists of a flour tortilla which is tightly wrapped around the filling, mostly some combination of meat (beef or chicken), and refried beans. Moreover, rice, sauteed bell peppers, cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce can be added.
However, in Spanish, a “burro” means a donkey and the word “burrito” means” little donkey”. A burrito can include, much like how a donkey can bear a lot on its back at once, it means a stuffed burrito bowl can still live up to its name, without the tortilla.
Ingredients and Recipe
- The wrap: Burrito is larger, so we use a large flour tortilla for the wrap.
- The filling: Burritos served as a whole meal, and the ingredients are healthy consists of meat, vegetables and cheese wrapped in a large flour tortilla.
- The garnishing: It has no specific garnishing.
What Is Taco?
Taco is the most popular dish for hundreds of years. Generally, they are little corn tortilla which can be hard or soft-shelled and filled with a variety of items (from fish or shrimp to pork or beef). Mostly, the hard-shelled tacos are filled with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and cheese, whereas soft-shelled tacos are topped with lime and cilantro.
They are considered ancient food items and have been around for centuries. Tacos are much smaller in size as compared to burritos. They are generally made from warmed corn tortilla around the size of a hand, wrapped around a simple filling. One taco is served as a light snack and a single food, whereas tacos for dinner would involve eating more than one and they are open-ended. Moreover, the tortilla that is used for wrapping the taco is quite smaller as compared to the tortilla, which is used to wrap the burrito.
Ingredients and Recipe
- The wrap: Taco has a soft and warm corn tortilla which is used for the wrap, and tacos are small in size.
- The filling: The filling consists of one type of meat that is wrapped in a soft corn tortilla, which makes it a truly light snack.
- The garnishing: Tacos can be garnished with salsa, onions, sour cream, cilantro and other sauces.
Key Differences between Burrito and Taco
- Burrito is served as a whole meal, whereas the taco is a light snack.
- Burrito is almost four times larger in size whereas tacos are smaller as compared to a burrito.
- Burrito was originated in the 20th century, Mexico whereas taco was much older than a burrito.
- Burritos and tacos both are Mexican dishes.
- Burrito has a double quality filling, whereas the filling quality of taco is single.
- There is no specific garnishing in burritos whereas tacos can be garnished with sour cream, salsa, onions, and cilantro.
- Tacos have a filling of one type of meat only; on the other hand, burrito holds a variety of vegetables, cheese, beans, etc.
However, both burritos and tacos are Mexican dishes, and the difference may vary in their size, wrapping and fillings. Choosing between them depends on your personal choice. Tacos are ancient food items that are made with corn tortillas wrapped around a single filling garnished with salsa, sour cream and sauces. On the other hand, burritos are generally larger flour tortillas and consist of a large number of vegetables and cheese.