Life under the sea is as fast as anyone wants to take their imagination and several species exist within the waters that most of us have no clue about. Crab though is one species that we eat in our diet and has important variations that exist. Two main types getting discussed here are bairdi crab and opilio; both have differences and their definitions. The first ones get defined as the crabs that get found in the Antarctic and the Pacific Ocean whereas the latter ones get established as the crabs found in the Pacific Ocean only.
|Basis of Distinction||Bairdi Crab||Opilio Crab|
|Life||Between 7 to 11years||Between 5 to 7 years|
|Location||The Antarctic and the Pacific Ocean.||The Pacific Ocean only.|
|Weight||Range from 3 kg for the smaller ones to around 6 kg in the larger ones||Range from 1 kg for the smaller ones to around 3 kg in the larger ones|
|Availability||Available throughout the year because they live on the upper surfaces and quickly caught by the fishers.||Do not have a proper cycle, for some years the production increases at a high level but at other times it becomes less for few years.|
|Alternative Name||Tanner crab||Snow crab|
|Scientific Name||Chionoecetes bairdi||Chionoecetes opilio|
|Size||Ranges from 5 feet to 8 feet||Ranges from 4 feet to 7 feet|
What is Bairdi Crab?
Bairdi Crab gets defined as a Chionoecetes bairdi that is a species of crab known alternatively as Tanner crab. They do not have long tails and therefore become distinguished among others. Such crabs consist of some of the most famous ones that are not only used for eating and hunting purposes but for selling at a good price. Their body consists of a tendinous shell that has a small abdomen flap; this helps them in getting the water and oxygen within the body whenever required. They have legs that are smaller but bigger in number and range from 4 to five pairs. The first leg pair is the one used for catching and hunting purposes and killing the prey while the others help in supporting the prey tightly. They have an extended age range than the others in the family and have a span of 11 years on average. The sizes also have some variations and range from 3 kg for the smaller ones to around 6 kg in the larger ones. They also become known as snow crabs because of the place where they live, such as Antarctica but that is not always true. According to some sources, the regular crabs in the bairdi family are twice as big and have double the meat when compared with the snow crabs. Among people who love seafood, these are the best one in the market and available throughout the year. Several dishes and variations such as Pasta, Smothered Sirloin and Shrimp make it worth trying.
What is Opilio Crab?
The Opilio Crab gets defined as Chionoecetes opilio, also known as snow crab, is a predominantly epifaunal crustacean native to shelf depths in the northwest Atlantic Ocean and the North Pacific Ocean. They are smaller in sizes when listed with others in their family and have meat that is half the size of the bairdi crab but get considered as delicious among people who like to try seafood. These types of shellfish are abundantly available in the market because people get to catch them quickly and therefore most of the seafood dishes based on this species have the opilio crab in the menu. They have sizes that range from 4 to 7 feet and have a weight that ranges from 1 kg to 3 kg depending on the size. Another advantage that fishers have is that they live on the surface and not too dark while the others live as deep as 100 feet, so it gets tricky to catch them without having the proper equipment. Such animals mostly get captured in the United States, Canada, Russia and Japan while the biggest consumers of them are also the same countries. They do not have a proper cycle, for some years the production increases at a high level but at other times it become less for few years, and that is because of the amount in which they become required. In winter seasons they go deeper into the sea, so people mostly wait for the summer months for catching them.
Key Differences between Bairdi Crab and Opilio Crab
- The bairdi crab becomes known as the crabs that get found in the Antarctic and the Pacific Ocean. On the other hand, opilio crabs become referred to as the crabs found in the Pacific Ocean only.
- The weight range from 3 kg for the smaller ones to around 6 kg in the larger ones for bairdi crabs whereas the size varies from 1 kg to 3 kg for the opilio ones.
- The size of bairdi crabs usually ranges from 5 feet to 8 feet whereas the size of opilio crab ranges from 4 feet to 7 feet.
- The life of a bairdi crab mostly ranges between 7 to 11 years whereas the life of an opilio crab ranges between 5 to 8 years.
- Bairdi crab gets known as Chionoecetes bairdi and alternatively as Tanner crab. On the other hand, Opilio crab gets known as Chionoecetes Opilio or Snow Crab.
- The regular crabs in the bairdi family are twice as big and have double the meat when compared with the snow crabs.
- Bairdi crabs become available throughout the year because they live on the upper surfaces and quickly caught by the fishers, on the other hand, opilio do not have a proper cycle, for some years the production increases at a high level but at other times it becomes less for few years.